[PS4] [PC] [ONE] Biohazard 7: Resident Evil

Game discussion
christian

[PS4] [PC] [ONE] Biohazard 7: Resident Evil

Post by christian »

christian

Re: [PS4] [PC] [ONE] Biohazard 7: Resident Evil

Post by christian »

If you're going to play this game, do yourself a favor. Hold off, absolutely hold off, until you can play it in VR mode. How many first person shooters have we played by now? How desensitized we've become to the distant flat panel. How much like toys, like little games, they now seem to me. Where is all the heavy-lifting being done in classic horror games? In the sound design. Headphones in a dark room. Familiar advice? But that can only go so far. VR takes us the rest of the way.
christian

Re: [PS4] [PC] [ONE] Biohazard 7: Resident Evil

Post by christian »

I ended up missing all the trailers for the game prior to its release because, well, why would I watch them? Everything about it seemed so different, so out there, that I didn't expect to gain anything from them. I can't even remember, honestly, if any of them had been broadcast at the PlayStation E3 conferences, which I never miss.

So the only impression I had of the game prior to launching it was that it took place in a scary house and there was something very wrong with the people who lived there.

This culminated in perhaps the most intense opening moments I've ever experienced in a videogame. Forget Silent Hill 2. RE7 has utterly trounced it.

You start the game by walking up to the gates of the house. Locked. Intercom unresponsive. You turn around and see if there's some other way in or something. And then you see it. An opening in the fence. But beside it a sign, written in red paint (blood?). What's written doesn't matter. What does is the realization that you are expected.

Enjoy your trek through the woods.