[N64] [3DS] Zelda no Densetsu: Majora no Kamen

Game discussion
christian

[N64] [3DS] Zelda no Densetsu: Majora no Kamen

Post by christian »

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Majoras-Mask-3D_2014_11-05-14_025.jpg
The-Legend-of-Zelda-Majoras-Mask-3D_2014_11-05-14_025.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 3504 times
christian

Re: [N64] [3DS] Zelda no Densetsu: Majora no Kamen

Post by christian »

Eurogamer review of the 3DS port - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -3d-review
Oli Welsh wrote: It asked: what's it like to be a child in an adult world that's falling apart? Never mind facing evil, how do you face sadness and regret? And how do you deal with the inevitability of failure?
Its answer -- reset the game. Which presupposes death and looks a lot like this:
edge-of-tomorrow-sig.jpg
edge-of-tomorrow-sig.jpg (281.95 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
Can it be that Majora no Kamen is a far greater advocate of suicide than even Persona 3 was ever supposed to be?
christian

Post by christian »

More from the Eurogamer review.
Oli Wesh wrote: The flow of time adds nothing but unearned worry to these typically devious and abstract puzzle palaces (the Stone Tower toward the end of the game is a head-spinning stand-out). They certainly don't need a ticking time bomb to make them more challenging.
I hear this all the time. About how anxious and stressed out this time-limit makes players. As if time should stand still in the dungeons and all the world outside should lie dormant, waiting for your return. But this isn't about challenge. This about creating worlds. Worlds that don't disappear or arbitrarily freeze up. The puzzles aren't what's important here. They certainly aren't the reason anybody fondly remembers this game. For the world to give way to the dungeon puzzles would be a return to the antiquated Famicom framework, and a step backward toward irrelevance.

But I guess that's too much for some. I have to wonder though. If something like this, in a Zelda game of all things, can wreck one's nerves, well then I can't even imagine how stressful reality must be for such a person.
christian

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »

In the 3DS port, playing the Song of Time no longer saves the game. It's interesting to note the progressive erosion of the game's time mechanics, starting with the Western release's addition of owl statue saves.
christian

Post by christian »

http://shmuplations.com/miyamotoxnaka/
Miyamoto: Yeah, but the way I see it, 2D is more about a game per se, while 3D is more of a tactile, sensory experience. In a 3D game, that feeling of “I was there!” is so strong. That’s why I wanted to make a 3D Zelda, actually, to see that world in 3D.