Game Development

Videogame culture discussion
christian

Re: Game Development

Post by christian »

Every article I've seen discussing the Alex St. John article linked above not only completely misrepresents it, but is saturated with anti-Christian ideology. People seem to think it's "pro-crunch" because it admits that the realities of the job will often require it. And it offends people that he rebukes immaturity and the foolish belief that with "proper management", the workplace can become a problem-free paradise. Now that's a dream job alright. And don't get him started on people upset over the wages they agreed to upon getting hired.

I see a lot of people online complaining about studios not paying their developers what they're worth, but how can they be expected to do that if these same people refuse to even consider buying a videogame for what it's worth? Where do they think the studios get their money? St. John riled a lot of feathers with this article, but I have to wonder just how much worse it would be if a major publisher suddenly announced that it would be charging $79.99 for all its new games (a price commonly seen in the early '90s for PC games, and reappearing today under the guise of season passes and special collector's editions).

What really set people off was this quote:
Alex St. John wrote:Making games is not a job — it’s an art.
It contained the triggering word "art", and so people naturally reacted to it without thinking and assumed he meant that because you're making art, you don't have to be compensated for it. Which is ridiculous. To clarify, he ought to have said, "Making games is not a regular job -- it's a job making art." By regular job, I mean exactly what he describes next in his article, a job in which you do nothing all day at a computer, leaving promptly at 5PM, and are grossly overpaid for it.
christian

Post by christian »

And when you're dedicated to banishing Christianity from the workplace, it's not an accident when this goes with it, "For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward." (1 Timothy 5:18)
christian

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »