u3xVWG0.jpg (422.78 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
E3 2015 teaser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bro5YugsPDg
christian

Re: [ONE] Gears of War 4

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »

Played the beta pretty much non-stop this weekend, and even though it felt a little off at first, similar to my first experience with the new Unreal Tournament (another UE4 rewrite), I slowly got accustomed to it. It wasn't long before I started pulling off moves that I couldn't even believe that I was seeing. I was never the best Gears player, but I wasn't exactly a novice either. And even I can be a terror with the shotgun now.

The Close Cover Combat (CCC) stuff didn't see a lot of usage from me. I would rarely succeed at pulling an enemy out from cover, with the likeliest outcome being me reaching fruitlessly over the barrier, only to have the enemy walk around and blow me away with a point-blank shotgun blast. It'll probably be more useful in the campaign. The dominant strategies around close-quarter duels are already so highly refined and effective that only new players will end up using and falling victim to these new abilities.

The new gamemode, Dodgeball, was a real delight. It's Execution, but with every kill, your team earns a respawn. Comebacks were hard-earned in Execution, and the pressure to overcome a brutal 1 v 5 showdown could crush even the best of players. But in Dodgeball, comebacks feel possible. All you need to do is kill one other player, just one, and you'll spawn in a reinforcement. Survive long enough to meet up with him, and now you've got a chance. It's some of the most thrilling Gears I've played in years.

I don't feel any reservation about saying that this is Gears at its finest. The full game can't get here soon enough.
christian

Post by christian »

MPxO6Qx.png
MPxO6Qx.png (349.46 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Yeah. It can look like that sometimes. It's not as bad as in the UE beta, but in the distance, yeah, it looks bad.
christian

Re: [ONE] [PC] Gears of War 4

Post by christian »

I think it's funny that when they refer to the enemy in the Pendulum Wars prologue chapter, it sounds like "indie". "More indies!", Dom shouts as a squad emerges from around the corner.
christian

Re: [ONE] [PC] Gears of War 4

Post by christian »

Although it's kind of lame that the game begins with playable flashbacks, the feeling that washed over me upon running down the street toward the House of Sovereigns on Emergence Day nearly redeemed it.