christian

[PC] [360] [PS3] Portal 2

Post by christian »

Chell_facing_glados_concept.jpg
Chell_facing_glados_concept.jpg (666.71 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
christian

Re: [PC] [VAR] Portal 2

Post by christian »

One of the most troubling announcements concerning this game was the updated ending to the original. It had you being dragged back into the test chamber.

Was anyone else bothered by this? Finally seeing the light of day amid the wreckage of the final boss and a credit sequence promising that even though you're free now, there's only worse to come, was a brilliant way to end the game. It sent the spirit soaring, filling me with excitement for a sequel, and I suspect that's one of the biggest reasons why so many players were left with such a strong, positive impression of the game.

But then Valve changed it up and had it end with you being re-imprisoned. Gee, how inspiring. I bet I know what I have to look forward to again.

Now Portal 2 ended up being a better game, but it was still a far cry from what was promised at the end of the original. Ah well, Portal 2 ends by finally kicking you back out of the test chamber again, but it's treated as a joke. As if you were nothing more than just a nuisance. Maybe somebody out there is chuckling right now over such an ending, but to me it was in poor taste and killed a lot of the enthusiasm I may have had for another sequel.