devils-third-61-656x656.jpg (136.65 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
E3 2014 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJUFGEQf6go
christian

Re: [WIIU] Devil's Third

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »

Played a little of this yesterday. It's interesting that the health system is straight out of Gears of War. It's much more of a third person shooter with beat 'em up elements, than the other way around. Comparisons with Ninja Gaiden or Metal Gear Rising may not be appropriate, but rather it should be compared against games like Vanquish or Max Payne. The question that immediately comes to mind when bringing those games up is, Why isn't there a slow down mechanic in Devil's Third? In my short time with the game, it felt necessary at certain points. But we'll see as I play more if it's really called for or not.
christian

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »

It doesn't need a slowdown.

I've played a bunch of the game over the weekend, and made it to the mission 2 boss. It can be really frightening to see someone charging at you with a melee weapon in-hand. Although enemies die quick, so do you! It's very much a blending of the Eastern and Western shooter frameworks, which hey, if you don't like shooters, this isn't going to do anything special for you. But if you like the genre, it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you're interested in building upon the foundations laid here.
christian

Post by christian »

This was kind of a problem in Breakdown, where enemies would take more shots to kill than you might expect. Maken X also had a similar problem.
christian

Post by christian »

Ivan isn't a goof like so many people seem to be expecting. And so they find all manner of things to laugh at instead.

It's not like this is God Hand where Gene goes around punching everybody with a smile. For daring to take itself seriously (because the mechanics, i.e. gun shooting, require it), critics have whipped themselves up into a frenzy over this game.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/12/ ... ird-review
Jim Sterling wrote: Perhaps if any of Devil’s Third was played for laughs, it could be tolerable. It never is, however. As a protagonist, Ivan is dour and humorless, while the plot, as ludicrous as it is, takes itself completely seriously and expects us to do the same. There are no one-liners, no hints of self-awareness, no clue whatsoever that Valhalla might have been taking the piss – which is weird, because the game feels like it should be a goof… it just isn’t.
Jim Sterling wrote: The worst part is, I have the horrible suspicion that Valhalla believes it made something really, really good.

And that just makes me incredibly sad.
Sad man is sad. News at 11.
christian

Post by christian »

Vanquish, Gears of War, The Order: 1886, Max Payne, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Lost Planet, Dead Space, and Biohazard. These are the games that Devil's Third is competing against, not only mechanically, but aesthetically as well. Against that kind of competition, it undeniably comes up short, more closely resembling early Xbox 360 titles like Bullet Witch. Shooters demand an increased emphasis on their aesthetics, which is something that detractors of the genre cannot grasp based on their love for proclaiming how tired and weary they are of these "cookie cutter" games. The only reason for which they could possibly get away with saying something like that is if they were physically blind.
christian

Post by christian »

Devil's Third actually looks more like a mix of Binary Domain and Bullet Witch. It's not terrible or anything. It's just not state of the art, reminding me somewhat of God Hand, which let's not forget was released the same year as Gears of War.

I do really like the facial animations though, particularly Ivan's.