[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Titanfall 2

Game discussion
christian

[PC] [PS4] [ONE] Titanfall 2

Post by christian »

x4VZDkK.jpg
x4VZDkK.jpg (205.73 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/ ... ps4-and-pc
Luke Karmali wrote: Speaking to IGN ahead of tonight's BAFTA Game Awards, Zampella, whose title is nominated in three categories, acknowledged the game's existence for the first time.

"I guess EA announced a sequel, so I could play coy and pretend I don't know anything about it, or… yeah. So we're working on a sequel. No official name yet, but we're working on that. That's the main focus but we're starting up a second team and doing some smaller stuff too. Small, exploratory, taking it slow! It'll be multiplatform."

It seems the decision the broaden the game's horizons in terms of platform was never in doubt. When asked whether or not the team wishes they could change anything about the original product, Respawn COO Dusty Welch said, "Platform for me comes to mind right away." Though Zampella then explained, "Well, we needed that, though. We couldn't do the game," Dusty clarified the exclusivity was always a business decision rather than anything else.

"If we could do it though?" he said. "It would have been prohibitive to do that - we definitely made the right choices for the right reasons - but if you're saying what would we have liked to have done? The opportunity to be multiplatform could have made it even more significant for us.

When it came to what we should expect from the next game in the series, the duo's lips were sealed, but they did promise to expand the lore. As for whether we should expect to see a single-player component, it's still not clear.

"I wouldn't have done it differently," Zampella said when reflecting upon the original's multiplayer-only approach. "We set out to do it and it was one of our goals. I mean it obviously prohibits a certain group of people playing the game, and as content creators you want to get into as many peoples's hands as possible. We put some single-player elements in there though, and tried to mix it up. Maybe we could have mixed things up a bit better because some people blew right by it and didn't even see it because there was so much action happening around it. It's tough, because if you hit people over the head with it it becomes intrusive, and there are people who don't want or care about it. Where does the needle fall? I think it takes a while to figure that out and we haven't figured it out yet."
In order to create a good Titanfall campaign, you'd have to embrace an open world design. The complete opposite of Call of Duty. Look at how finely crafted a typical CoD mission is. It's only because of the fairly limited mobility of the player and the constraints of the level itself that something like that is even possible. But with Titanfall, where you can zip and zoom all over the place, time spent trying to create something like that is only going to be wasted. If not impossible.

Given that Respawn's campaign creation experience has been primarily Call of Duty missions, I doubt they'll ever create a real Titanfall campaign.
christian

Re: Titanfall 2

Post by christian »

Interesting to see so many of the headlines for Titanfall 2 news tease the possibility of a campaign. "Respawn Isn't Ruling Out a Campaign", "Titanfall 2 May Feature Full Single-Player Campaign", "Respawn Have 'Heard the Feedback' About a Campaign", "Titanfall 2 Campaign Mode a Possibility", ... etc.

Now it's possible that these news stories are all just feeding off of each other, so keep that in mind. But I do think EA is deliberately allowing the possibility in order to prevent people from immediately losing interest, so at least they'll give it a look whenever it comes time for their big reveal. If they can dazzle them enough with whatever new material they've got, their lack of a campaign won't matter as much.
christian

Post by christian »

Woops. Looks like Forbes contributor Don Groves has written an article with quotes from lead writer Jesse Stern which sounds like official confirmation of a single player campaign. Except that Jesse Stern isn't actually quoted saying anything about a single player campaign. He does say some stuff about the TV spin-off though.

Since news sites are reporting this as official confirmation, EA will have to come clean and admit there's no single player to prevent an uproar at its reveal.
christian

Post by christian »

Game Informer is the only news site I've seen to actually acknowledge this as an unverified rumor.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... -show.aspx
Note: We have amended this story to reflect that the information has been reported, but not independently verified. We have reached out to EA for clarification and will update when we have more information.
PC Gamer wisely chose not to report on it at all, instead only reporting on the information that Jesse Stern actually gave in the interview. Note the date, though. That was published well before everyone started losing their minds over the game's supposed single-player content.
christian

Re: [PC] [PS4] [ONE] Titanfall 2

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »

There actually IS a campaign! Awesome!
christian

Post by christian »

christian

Post by christian »

You can talk to the Titans in Titanfall 2's campaign - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... s-campaign

Single Player Quick Look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBIoScqqbQU

Can't wait! Thrilled to hear all the comparisons to Far Cry and Crysis.
christian

Post by christian »

The multiplayer tech test is available now for Xbox One and PS4. I've only played it briefly, but so far it feels highly compromised. And of course it would be, seeing that Respawn's concern is no longer strictly multiplayer. Based on what we know so far, it would seem that they've prioritized the single player campaign. So I wouldn't worry too much about all the complaints online about the game's multiplayer. The first game may have been worth it for the multiplayer alone, but there's no such requirement here.